The builders of the famous Nordhavn brand of ocean-crossing, full-displacement yachts, this week introduced a brand-new design – the 52 Coastal Pilot — that reestablishes a coastal cruising model in the company’s fleet. The original 35 Coastal Pilot has been discontinued for several years, but Nordhavn admirers continued to clamor for a replacement.
Well, this is a much bigger boat than the 35 CP, but its semi-displacement hull and 8-15 knot cruising speed and lighter weight than a traditional deep-hull Nordhavn may be the sweet spot for potential customers looking for a less ambitious entry into the Nordhavn fleet.
The new 52 Coastal Pilot has a classic sedan configuration with liveaboard-quality owners’ cabin and a second guest stateroom. A second head with stall shower will service the guest accommodations and double as a day head.
The new boat will have a displacement of about 52,000 pounds, which is nearly the same as the Nordhavn 40, currently the smallest boat in the fleet. It will be barely half the mass of the current full-displacement N52, however. Range with 800 gallons of fuel powering twin Cummins QSB 5.9 liter, 480 hp diesels should be about 1,000 miles. Larger engines, with higher top-end speeds, are also available. Even though it is designed to be a coastal cruiser, the 52 CP will comply with CE Category A certification for unrestricted offshore recreational use.
True to its liveaboard design target, the 52 CP will have eight 255 amp hour AGM batteries for starting and house needs, along with a 3,500 watt inverter/charger and a 20 kW Onan generator with its own starting batteries.
Here’s a full rundown on the features:
- Designed to comply with CE Category A certification for unrestricted offshore recreational use
- Twin Cummins QSB 5.9 liter – 480 hp diesel engines with electronic controls on fly bridge and interior helm station
- Heavily insulated stand up engine room with molded fiberglass floors and highly detailed overhead and walls with three access points.
- Engine room fitted with Delta T intake and exhaust blowers with Delta T moisture eliminators
- 2 Molded fiberglass fuel tanks with gravity supply reservoir for absolute reliability in fuel delivery
- Two Molded fiberglass water tanks
- Molded fiberglass holding tank
- Bennett Premium trim tabs
- Side Power 11 hp, 24 volt bow thruster
- Eight 255 amp hour AGM batteries for engine starting and house power
- 3500 watt inverter/charger
- 20 KW Onan generator with separate starting batteries
- Cruisair reverse cycle air-conditioning – heating through out
- Galley appliances including refrigerator freezer with ice maker, electric cook top and convection microwave
- Bosch Washer and dryer with separate Uline freezer in basement utility area
- Imtra LED lighting throughout
- Muir 3500 lb horizontal electric windlass with 110 lb anchor and 400 feet 3/8” chain
- Flybridge with fixed stainless steel and fiberglass bimini and LED overhead lighting
- Steelhead 600-lb. tender crane
General Specifications are as follows:
- LOA: 52’ 1 ½”
- LWL: 48 11 ½”
- Draft : 4’ 3 ½”
- Beam: 15’ 10”
- Displ. 52,000
- Water 340 gallons
- Fuel 800 gallons
- Holding 80 gallons
Lots more information is available at the Nordhavn brand website.
Copyright © 2012 by OceanLines LLC. All rights reserved.